IBF * Mr. McEntarfer * Computer Applications II
Aim: How can we learn the rules and ethics of the World Wide Web by studying the theory of netiquette?
Spark: What do people do in online chats or discussion that they would not do in a face to face interaction?
1. Spark – Go over responses (more openness, cruel, flirtatious, deception)
2. Go to: http://albion.com/netiquette/
3. Click on Introduction
a. What is netiquette?
4. Read the Rules of Netiquette and then take the online quiz
Road Rules of the World Wide Web
1. Rule 1 – Remember the Human
a. What is the “Prime Directive” when communicating with others on the internet?
b. Why else should people be careful about what they write on the internet?
2. Rule 2 – Adhere to the same values and standards online that you follow in real life
a. Why is it beneficial to pay for shareware?
3. Rule 3 – Know where you are in cyberspace
a. Why is it important to explore a domain before participating?
4. Rule 4 – Respect other peoples time and bandwidth
a. Explain why patience is a virtue in cyberspace.
5. Rule 5 – Make Yourself look good online
a. What are some ways you can make yourself look bad on the internet?
6. Rule 6 – Share expert knowledge
a. What is it about sharing on the internet that benefits all those in cyberspace?
7. Rule 7 – Help keep flame wars under control
a. What is flaming?
8. Rule 8 – Respect other peoples privacy
a. How would you feel if someone was reading your E-mail without you knowing?
9. Rule 9 – Don’t abuse your power
a. How could a powerful user abuse their power?
10. Rule 10 – Be forgiving of other peoples mistakes
What have you learned about the proper use of the internet? Write a short essay in which you reflect
on the 10 rules of netiquette you just read about. Explain as to if you agree or disagree with
anything here. Is there something missing that should be on this list? An 11th rule? Which issues
do find most important? Please address these in your writing.
Take Online Quiz on Netiquette by following the link below:
Table of Contents